Sunday, September 23, 2007

Madeleines, original recipe!

Note: French version is here on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth



I'm happy to start -well I hear you saying: what! it's her second post! Yes, you're right but it's the first recipe, and here it's a food blog after all :-)

Madeleines are shell shaped classical French soft cookies. They are old and so classic, every French kids have or had those for snack after school (what we call: quatre heure, it's our tea time but at 4 o'clock!). The madeleines recipe was created in the reign of Louis the XVth and every French literature lovers know about the little Proust madeleine, knows as an image of childhood memories.
I got this madeleine de Commercy recipe from my grand-mother's cookbook, it's old and yellowed enough to say that I will share with you the true, the only one, the original recipe!

Ingredients: (for about 30 madeleines)

-the madeleine pan if you don't know where you can find this essential French cuisine item go here
-250g of sugar
-250g of flour
-150g of unsalted butter
-6 eggs
- half of a tea spoon of baking soda (or levure chimique, the most famous one in France is in a pink paper package)
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla sugar ( or vanilla extract)

Directions:

1- In a large saucepan under low heat melt the butter (it should never become brown), add the eggs and whisk.
2- Remove from the heat, add the sugar and whisk. When the mix is plain and light white add the flour, baking soda and vanilla sugar and whisk again. (Oh! I forgot to say that this recipe requires some whisking skills)
3- If you don't have a non-sticky madeleine pan brush it with butter onto it -your life will get definitely easier and it's way cheaper than a life coach- . Fill the molds with a spoon.
4- Place in a preheat oven for 10 minutes at 180 Celsius degree (350 F degree).

Note: You can replace the vanilla sugar by orange or lemon zest

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo with the recipe. It's good to know what shape a madeleine is supposed to be, and how much brown on the edges.

Ron said...

Babeth,
I'm going to see if Bettina will make some for me....

Nice Blog!

Ron

Ron said...

Babeth,
Nice Blog!
I'm going to see if Bettina will make madeleines for me...

Ron

Babeth said...

Hi Ron and Bettina!
If you have trouble finding the madeleine pan I can send one over to you!

Share on Facebook