Friday, November 30, 2007

Soup season: cream split peas and bacon soup

Note: For the French version it's here on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth.



God it's cold outside! Ok I must admit I might be a little chilly and I turn into an ice-cube very easily. Let face it: even here in Antibes under the palm trees I think it's freezing outside ... and I'm going to New-York and Quebec for the Holidays ... crazy me!
If you're like me: freezing, a little home made cream soup will warm you up, I promise and with not a lot of work!
After the cream Hakkaido squash soup featured here, let me introduce: the cream split peas and bacon soup ("velouté de pois-cassés et lardons" ). I had the idea to add bacon to the split peas after having a frozen chickpeas soup from "Mister Picard" (if you live in France you know who is Mister Picard: the king of frozen food, it's a store chain, expensive but meal saver).

Ingredients:
- 2 cups and a half of split peas (around 250g)
- 4 carrots
- 4 slices of bacon (150g of "lardons")
- 1 cup (around 20cl) of dairy cream
- 30 seeds of coriander
- ginger

Directions:
1- Cook the split peas according to the instructions.
2- Peel and cut the carrots.
3- Cook the bacon.
4- Scoop out the mix carrots and slip peas then add the cream, the ginger and the seeds and coriander to the food processor.

You can add to your bowl a drop of chestnut oil and croutons.

Other soups recipes:
- Jerusalem artichoke soup
- soup at Tiffany
- cream hokkaido squash soup

Note: For the French version it's here.

No comments:

Share on Facebook