Saturday, December 8, 2007

Candied onion recipe!

Note: the French version is here on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth.



Once upon a time a plump onion got lost in my kitchen, or how once I bought a bulky onion for clear conscience (healthy-wise). If you know me a little bit you that I have a dreadful aversion for raw onions. Pissaladière (typically French Riviera onion tart) is fine in my menu, more than fine actually :-).

This onion stays a while on my kitchen counter; we looked at each other a lot. I really didn't know what to do with it. And one day: Bingo! (No I didn't see the mega lottery winning numbers) I remembered that I have somewhere a recipe of candied onion in kosher salt. I just needed to find the recipe now ...

Result is very nice: visually and taste wise (I must admit I will re-try this recipe for sure). The onion is just sweet like it should not too much. I had it with a chicory salad and real vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper whisked in a bowl). I'm sure it will be also perfect with mayonnaise.

Before giving you my recipe I would like to talk a little bit about my next post. I spent a full afternoon at Lenôtre école gourmande in Cannes (where I learned how to make beautiful macarons) cooking a full Christmas diner. Stay tuned :-)

Ingredients:
-one onion
-kosher salt (gros sel)

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven at 425 F.
2- Place in an oven-proof pan a next of kosher salt.
3- Cut the base of the onion and in the flesh make a cross with your knife.
4- Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 300 F and let it cook for 1 hour.

For oven conversions I use this very useful link from Food Network.
Note: the French version is here.

No comments:

Share on Facebook