Thursday, December 6, 2007

Garlic pork roast with its crispy potatoes

Note: The French version is here on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth.



As I
promised, after my charitable duty yesterday and Brad Pitt's picture showing :-) today will be all about food.

I love to have diner parties at home (and to go to, in that case I don't have to clean the dishes (my kitchen is too tiny to let a dishwasher in, ARGHHH)). That started a long long time ago (well not so long, I'm not that old anyway) when I was in College, then continued and grow when I was a Californian and never dies.

In College diner parties were pretty simple and frugal. Me and my friends didn't have any money. So we had: pasta parties, tartiflette parties (a typical French dish from the mountains, not to mention that it's a winter dish) and crepes parties. Very often I baked a cake, chocolate or fruit one (let me confess: chocolate was and still is my favorite).

Then in California I was part of a joyful Wednesday diners group. I was the only French in the middle of bunch of Americans. I was making a serious effort to cook French food for them, and I was kind of proud of my results: cheese souffle, creme anglaise, creme brulee, quiche lorraine and so on. Also I will never be grateful enough to them for being so patient with my broken English. I learn a lot among them. Thanks guys!

The other day I was having a small diner party at home with 2 guy friends of mine. So as you know men need their piece of meat, no way I would have been able to serve girly food like beet mouse or fat-free tatziki. So that night, on the menu we had: fresh green salad, garlic pork roast with its crispy potatoes and a chocolate tart (recipe another day my dear readers, it will come this is on of my classics).

Garlic pork roast with its crispy potatoes:
Ingredients:
-1 3lbs boneless pork loin roast (larded one so the meat keeps all its moist)
-8 to 10 garlic cloves
-6 medium potatoes
-dry thyme
-sea salt and pepper
-butter


Directions:
1- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2- Undress the garlic cloves.
3- Peel and cut into slices the potatoes.
4- Place the pork roast in a buttered roasting pan.
5- With a knife pick the meat for each garlic cloves and introduce the cloves into them. (by picking with a knife it's easier introduce the cloves inside the meat). Put aside 3 or 4 cloves.
6- Place the potatoes' slices around the roast; put the remaining cloves on top of the potatoes.
7- Sprinkle with thyme, pepper and salt.
8- Roast it uncovered in the oven, 20 to 30 minutes per pound.

Bon appétit!

Other pork recipes:
- cured pork with green lentils
- Carrot and turnip pork roast

Note: The French version is here.

No comments:

Share on Facebook