Friday, January 25, 2008

Mustard salmon en papillote

Note: French version of this post is here on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth.



After all the craziness and the non-sense calories wise and long-preparation wise in our plates and kitchens during the holiday season, let's go back to more simple and healthy cooking, would you?
Also I should mention that the recipe I'm about to reveal will not create too many dishes to clean. I love that part.

Let's be serious here and talk about the beneficial effects of salmon and also restrictions. Salmon is an oily fish fully loaded with OMEGA 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamins. If you're not been living in a cave for years you know that OMEGA 3 fatty acids are good for your health. But also with human pollution you shouldn't eat too much of oily fish, that's a shame - but true - and can be dangerous. Dioxins and PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyl) can be present in oily fish and may jeopardize your health if you're eating a very large amount and for a long period of time oily fish.
But there is no reason to stop eating farmed salmon or other fish, or once in a while wild salmon.

Anyway my recipe is light and healthy.
Cooking fish in papillote leave it moist and flavorful without any added fat.

Ingredients: (for 2 persons)
- 2 salmon steaks (with or without skin)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (you may take a red or a yellow one!)
- coriander seeds
- Dijon mustard
- dairy cream (15% fat)
- herbes de Provence
- salt and pepper

Directions:
1- Pre-heat the oven at 425F.
2- Rinse, remove the seeds and cut the bell pepper into small squares.
3- Place the salmon on a parchment paper.
4- Spread about 1 tablespoon on mustard on top, and some dairy cream.
5- Add bell pepper cubes , sprinkle herbes de Provence, salt and pepper and few coriander seeds.
6- Close the papillote, and place into the oven for 15/20minutes at 425F.


Note: I served it with rice cooked in miso-water and radish sprouts.

Note: French version of this post is here.


6 comments:

Deborah said...

I love the combination of salmon and mustard. This sounds wonderful!

Linda said...

I always just broil or grill my salmon after soaking it in some soy sauce. I've never done the cooking in paper before which I've heard makes everything really moist. I think I will give it a try.

Babeth said...

Yes Linda, papillote method leave the salmon so moist flavorful. It's really good and super easy! You should give it a try (please feel free to contact me if you have any problem with the recipe)

sorina said...

I’ll have to make a new rule for myself. Don’t come to your blog when I am hungry! Everything looks so delicious!

Martha said...

I made this recently and it was so delicious! Definitely one of the best things I've ever cooked.

A small note, though: The temperature should be 425F, NOT 110.

Merci pour la recette!

Babeth said...

Thanks Martha :-) I just changed the oven temperature to the actual one;-)
I'm glad you like the papillote
xoxo

Share on Facebook