Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Salmon risotto

Note: the French version is published on La cuisine de Babeth.


At the beginning of the week, while unrevealing my favorite papillote recipe, I told you all about the good and the bad effects of salmon (oily fishes in general) on your health. I hope it wasn't a lecture, though. The main point was: yes of course salmon is super good for your health, it's loaded with vitamins and OMEGA 3, but sadly because of human pollution it's also loaded with dioxins and PCBs. So my advice was and still is: eat oily fish but not a huge amount of it, basically don't make oily fish your diet cornerstone.

Well I had some fresh salmon steaks' leftover and I don't like to waste stuff, I was trying to figure out how to accommodate it without doing a papillote sequels. They're usually insipid, take Hollywood 's sequels as an example ... So my brain was working hard and BINGO! a salmon risotto!
I re-used, as a base, for my recipe the goat cheese and mache one I presented here. I just didn't have any white wine, so I just replace it by the same amount of chicken broth.

Ingredients:
(for party of 2)
- half of a salmon steak
- 120g (3/4 cup) of Arborio rice
- 1/2 onion
- 450ml (2 cups) of chicken broth (made from Kub bouillon cube dissolved in hot water)
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of grated gruyère
- olive oil (aka e.v.o.o.)

Directions:
1- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the cut out onion.
2- Add to the skillet the salmon (I cut it into pieces). When golden enough remove from the stove.
3- Add the rice and mix till the rice is coated with oil.
4- Pour the broth ladle by ladle. Note: wait for the rice to absorb the broth before pouring the next ladle.
5- When the risotto rice is cooked add the cut out Parmesan and the gruyère. Mix few minutes at low heat.

Important: don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma

Note: the French version is published on La cuisine de Babeth.

2 comments:

Cherout said...

C'est très joli. Je conseille d'ajouter un peu de safran et du parmesan sur le saumon...

Hmmmm.

Babeth said...

Tres bonne idee ca ! J y penserai next time.

Share on Facebook