Monday, January 21, 2008

Comfort food: Japanese pear and pine nuts scones

Note: French version of this post is here on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth.



Antibes almost entered Ice Age lately. It's cold and rainy! This dreadful weather inspires me to bake scones, comfort food that doesn't blow your diet. How nice :-)
I was day dreaming of scones still hot with melted butter on top.



I remembered some delicious scones I had in San Francisco at Easter brunch last year. I was in California on business trip and Mathieu joined me during his one week break. We went for brunch with friends in the city, in Hugo and Suzanne neighborhood at Pomelo on Church. They served us some delicious scones with pear and pine nuts to nibble on. God those scones were good, so yummy and light that I wrote a note in the moleskin which never leaves my purse.
Let me recommend that brunch café: it's a small and friendly place and very affordable.

Ingredients: (makes about 20 small scones)
-2 cups of flour
-2 oz of butter
-5 tablespoons of sugar
-5 tablespoons of milk
-1 egg
-1 teaspoon of baking soda
-1 teaspoon of salt (regular)
-2 tablespoons of pine nuts
-1 Japanese pear (regular pear will do too, such as French butter pear)

Direction:
1- Beat the egg (omelette's like).
2- Add flour, salt, baking soda, pine nuts, and small pear's cubes into a large jar. Mix.
3- Add the butter (cuts into small cubes)
4- Mix the butter in well.
5- Add the milk and sugar, massage into a dough.
6- Shape one-inch balls.
7- Place onto a baking sheet.
8- Bake for 15 minutes at 400F.

You can keep them up to 5 days in a metal or plastic box.

Please note that this recipe of mine is taking part of "In the bag" contest: to cook with seasonal ingredients. And guess what pears are in the season :-) This month host is Julia from A slice of cherry pie.

Note: French version of this post is here.

5 comments:

Hugo said...

mmmm... I LOVE Pomelo!

Babeth said...

Hi Hugo!
Thanks on the comment:-)

joey said...

Your scones look delicious! I can imagine how good they must be with the pear and pinenuts :)

Pixie said...

This sounds wonderful, well done!

Heather said...

I swear I didn't see your scones before I made my gallette) (for In the Bag)! I was surprised to see your Asian pear-pinenut combo, because I thought I was being so clever to come up with that! Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

Your scones look like just the thing I want to at for brekkie right now.

Share on Facebook