Thursday, February 21, 2008

Brussels sprouts guest star on winter savory muffins!

Note: French version is on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth

Important: don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma

Girls from the 7th muffins day contest challenged me. I had to come up with savory muffins, cute and eatable (as I must add).

I wanted to come up with muffins fully loaded with seasonal ingredients.

I saw some interesting videos (mostly on the Today Show) and read recipes (see Heidi's one) about Brussels sprouts. Well you may have the same unappealing souvenir of them, yep you had the same boiled ones at your school cafeteria, yeurkkk! Really not tasty.
But in all those recipes I saw and read, Brussels sprouts were not boiled just stirred, and that looked yummy and vibrant green not mashed and dark green like school cafeteria's ones.
I wanted to try ,so as soon as Brussels sprouts arrived on my farmer market stalls I bought some. Here I was in my kitchen looking at them and thinking how I could accommodate them . I must say that Mathieu was not very pleased by my new ingredients-friends (I guess he had the same cafeteria recurrent nightmares).
I was creative and stay tuned for more recipes featuring Brussels sprouts.


Here my muffins:

Ingredients: (for about 20 mini-muffins or 10 regular size)
-1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
-2 tbsp of baking soda
-1 egg
-1 cup of milk
-2 tbsp of melted butter
-1 tbsp of chestnut oil
-1 tbsp of ground cumin
-1/4 cup of lardons (stripped bacon)
-1/4 cup chopped onion
-1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 to 6 Brussels sprout heads
- fresh cilantro
- olive oil

Directions:
1- Preheat oven at 375F.
1- Wash the Brussels sprouts, trim their ends and remove the yellow leaves. Quarter them.
2- Heat some olive oil in a skillet at medium heat, gently and slowly cook the Brussels sprouts for about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
3- Cooked the lardons in an other pan. Set aside.
4- Whisk in a bowl the milk, egg, melted butter as well as 1 tbsp of chestnut oil.
5- In an other bowl combine the flour, baking soda, onion, ground cumin, Brussels sprouts, Parmesan cheese, some chopped cilantro leaves and lardons.
6- Blend well the milk mix into the dry ingredients one.
7- Fill your muffin cups, bake for 20 to 30 minutes depending on muffin size and your oven.

2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's an inventive and great combination! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

White On Rice Couple said...

Love the cumin and bacon here. We love savory muffins, especially with bacon! Yummy!

Share on Facebook