Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Madeleines in memory

Note: French version is here on La cuisine de Babeth

Instead of talking too much about the glacial cemetery last Saturday, I want to share again with you my grand mother's madeleines' recipe, recipe I featured here as my first one on this blog.


Ingredients: (for about 30 madeleines)


-the madeleine pan if you don't know where you can find this essential French cuisine item go here
-250g of sugar
-250g of flour
-150g of unsalted butter
-6 eggs
- half of a tea spoon of baking soda (or levure chimique, the most famous one in France is in a pink paper package)
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla sugar ( or vanilla extract)

Directions:

1- In a large saucepan under low heat melt the butter (it should never become brown), add the eggs and whisk.
2- Remove from the heat, add the sugar and whisk. When the mix is plain and light white add the flour, baking soda and vanilla sugar and whisk again. (Oh! I forgot to say that this recipe requires some whisking skills)
3- If you don't have a non-sticky madeleine pan brush it with butter onto it -your life will get definitely easier and it's way cheaper than a life coach- . Fill the molds with a spoon.
4- Place in a preheat oven for 10 minutes at 180 Celsius degree (350 F degree).

Note: You can replace the vanilla sugar by orange or lemon zest

Madeleines also featured in that post.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm sorry to hear that...

Your Madeleines look fabulous! Such memories are great and undying...

Cheers,

Rosa

Babeth said...

Thanks Rosa for your nice message

davidL said...

Salut Babeth: I might be wrong, but I think levure chimique in the pink package is baking powder!

Don't want any explosions in your kitchen : )

Babeth said...

Thanks for the comment, but I use baking soda, the Hammer girl for a substitute of levure chimique. The one I bought while living in CA even had a cookie recipe on it.
I need to research really what is the difference between baking soda / baking powder and levure chimique ;-)

Share on Facebook