Monday, April 14, 2008

2 gingers maple-glazed salmon

Note: French version is on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth
Charity: don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma



Until recently, in my cooking world maple syrup was only good for drowning pancakes at breakfast. I know it's not particularly healthy since it's pure sugar but I love to sponge maple syrup with my pancakes. After few trips to Quebec with Mathieu I discovered a lot more in the maple syrup department. Maple syrup can be used on smoked ham, on roasted meat or fish and even to sweeten yogurts. I'm even thinking to use it as replacement sugar in muffins.

Micheline, Mathieu's mother-in-law, in a way my second mother-in-law, sent me by emails few typical Quebec recipes. Here, I'm presenting you the first one I tried at home: 2 gingers maple-glazed salmon, it's a keeper!

Ingredients:
-2 skinless salmon steaks
-1/4 cup of maple syrup
-3 tbs of fresh grated ginger (alternatively use powered ginger)
-3 tbs of lemon juice
-1 tbs soy sauce
-marinated ginger (can be find at any Asian supermarket)
-sesame seeds

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven at 400°F.
2- In a bowl mix together: maple syrup, grated ginger, lemon juice and soy sauce.
3- Place the salmon in a small baking dish and pour the marinade over it. Cover with an aluminum foil.Cook for 10 minutes.
If you don't have a baking dish you can make papillotes.
4- Remove the aluminum foil and broil at grill for 10 minutes till the fish becomes opaque.
If you're using papillotes just open them before.
5- Before serving sprinkle on top sesame seeds and marinated ginger.

Previously on La vie in English: the husband in the kitchen: apple tarte tatin, chiken ginger wok stir-fried

8 comments:

Angel said...

This piece of salmon looks like a small alligator.))) I must say, a mouth-watering dish...

Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks really good. I don't use much maple syrup, which is a shame because I live in New England and have access to a lot of great examples! This will be a great way for me to use more of a great local ingredient.

Babeth said...

Angel: you're right! It looks like an alligator! (my husband said the same btw)

Loulou said...

What a heavenly looking recipe!

Salt & Turmeric said...

Iv never even cooked my salmon using ginger and im asian! lol.

The combination of ginger and maple syrup sounds yummy. i will definitely try this the next time i buy salmon.

Farina

chefj said...

Excellent job on this recipe--- it's hard to come up with finding new flavors to pair with salmon but your post did!

Patsyk said...

That salmon looks wonderful! I may have to give this a try, but I'll grill it since my hubby tends to prefer fish cooked outside (just in case we have an remnant odors, which Salmon often leaves when I finish cooking it!).

Babeth said...

Thanks all of you for your comments!
Patsyk: cooking the salmon in a papillote is odorless. You should give it a try ;-) But being able to cook it outside is also great, a luxury.

Share on Facebook