Thursday, April 10, 2008

Quinoa mixed berry muffins

Note: French version is on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth
Charity: about cancer don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma



Muffins and cookies are typical American snacks for me. When I was living in the US, I went crazy for cookies (fresh ones of course) and muffins. My favorite muffins were -and still are-: poppy seeds, chocolate chunks or chips and blueberries. As much as cookies are super easy to make, muffins are tricky to bake. Yes, those good-hearted muffins can be fiddly to prepare.

For perfect muffins: rounded, golden, tender with a pebby top, there's 2 rules to respect:
1- use oil instead of butter. Butter is composed only of 80% of butterfat the rest is solid milk and water. Fat helps to have moist muffins. If you're really not keen on oil use clarified butter.
2- don't over mix. Leave your Kitchenaid or any other stand mixer in your cupboard. A lumpy batter will make the best muffins.

Ingredients:
-1 cup all purpose-flour
-1 cup of quinoa flour
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 rounded teaspoon of baking soda or 1 package of levure chimique
-1 cup of milk
-1/2 cup of sunflower oil
-2 eggs
-1 1/3 cups of mixed berries

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2- Place muffin cups in the muffin tin. I used silicon cups, it's more eco-friendly than the paper-ones.
3- In a medium bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking soda.
4- In another bowl whisk the milk, oil and eggs.
5- Pour the milk mix into the dry mix. Add the berries.
6- Stir just until the it's blended. Don't over mix, a lumpy batter will make the best muffins.
7- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
8- Place in the oven rack for 20 minutes at 400°F.

Check my savory muffins recipe: Brussels sprouts muffins

9 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Quinoa flour -- I'm not familiar with that. Is it simply ground quinoa?

Babeth said...

Yes Lydia, it is :-)

Angel said...

Wow, looks delicious!

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Babeth, those muffins look scrumptious! You've opened my eyes to using quinoa in a new way!

Babeth said...

Gumbeaux gal: I'm happy to have open new horizons for quinoa in your kitchen :-)

Miranda said...

Wow...These look great. I like your site...
Stop by my site if you can...

Natty said...

Where could we get Quinoa (raw or flour) in Luxembourg?

Babeth said...

@Natty: At any organic supermarket. I was going to Naturataa in Foetz zone commerciale, oposite Cora you have a sign.

Bored Bawarchi said...

I just finished baking these. I ground up my own quinoa for the flour, and used clarified butter instead of vegetable oil. The muffins have this mildly crisp exterior that crumbles and they taste delicious. My daughter is on her second one now :) Just one little thing - I can smell the quinoa in the muffins. Do you think it is because of the home-made quinoa flour?

Share on Facebook