Sunday, May 25, 2008

The mailman doesn't like me much!

Note: French version is on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth
Rare cancer awareness: don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma



The mailman doesn't like me much! I got to this conclusion while waiting for my "Elle à table" to arrive in my mailbox many days after it hit the shelves! It was mocking me from all Antibes newspapers stands.
An interruption here to explain to the non-French readers what is Elle à table. I'm sure you all know Elle the fashion magazine, it's available in French, English (US, UK, New Zealand ...), German, Russian, Japanese and so one. In most places it's solely a monthly fashion magazine but in France Elle is actually published weekly, with 4 detachable recipes cards at the end. Our local market also sees every 2 months Elle à table, an Elle sister magazine dedicated to cooking, how lucky are we hum? The magazine is loaded with recipes, articles about chefs and foodies, products and what to eat on vacation.

Anyway, I'm a subscriber to that cooking magazine and typically one of the perks of being a subscriber is to get it before everybody else.
So after hundreds of hours late here it comes with an engaging message on its cover: "all new presentation". But after browsing through it, I wasn't calmed down. The look of the cover is dull. Inside it's all "green". Meaning not a lot of colors in the recipes, only shades of green and then more shades of green. But May and June are great month for colorful grocery shopping. Farmers markets stalls are in full bloom at this time of the year, packed full with fruits and veggies de saison. Green is nice but almost only green recipes ?? Sorry guys but I'm not a rabbit!
I was even more pissed off when I hit the precious recipes cards at the end of my magazine: ads have crept among them. Then they tried to catch up with the web 2.0 and added some blogs' articles. The only major problem is: those articles are only old posts from the blogs. Why paying for a magazine to get old blog post that you got for free weeks ago? Another example of old media trying to be internet cool and getting it way wrong. What's next, clamor the arrival of web 3.0??
I will be waiting for the next issue to make up my mind and give Elle à table another chance if they can stick to seasonal varied recipes and published original materials.
Wait and see.

Update: well, I waited and Elle à table changed! Check out my new review here!

10 comments:

Helen said...

That is so frustrating! I hate it when your magazine let's you down, especially when it involves advertising.

Nikki Miller-Ka said...

You're so lucky to have this magazine!

chatelain said...

Hi,

When you type "Green Cooking" on google, your recipes are on the first page

:)
Arnold

elra said...

Babeth,
love to hear that you had fun shopping in NYC. Anyway, I didn't know that you were Californian once! Now, I start to wonder wether you lived in around Palo Alto? You know that we have Whole Foods in down town Palo Alto and also in Los Altos (El Camino Real). Milk Pail still here and Trader Joe's also open in Los Altos/Mountain VIew behind Sears, you probably know where it is. Hope that you'll visit CA one day

elra said...

Babeth,
love to hear that you had fun shopping in NYC. Anyway, I didn't know that you were Californian once! Now, I start to wonder wether you lived in around Palo Alto? You know that we have Whole Foods in down town Palo Alto and also in Los Altos (El Camino Real). Milk Pail still here and Trader Joe's also open in Los Altos/Mountain VIew behind Sears, you probably know where it is. Hope that you'll visit CA one day

davidL said...

I've never found anything good at Century 21....but Trader Joes, well...that's another story!

And I'm still waiting for the Whole Foods to open here in Paris..

Babeth said...

Yes indeed Helen!

Nikki: it used to be great, or I spoiled and picky ... not that's not possible the magazine quality went down big time.

Arnold: Whahouuuuuuu :-))

Elra: I will come back to CA some dyas and I will let you know in advance. Could be great to meet in real life around a tea or coffee.

DaviL: Centuty21 it's like a treasure hunt in the middle of all that junk there's treasures ;-)

kellypea said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've gotten rid of several of my magazine subscriptions that I've had for years. It's all available on line now, anyway.

Mark by Chocolate said...

Can't blame the postman, though, you are living in France and the post is run by the government. When I lived in Bogota, the post was handled by Avianca, a private company, and it was fast. Bogota to NY, 1 day.

So, just think, you could have gotten you disappointing issue that much faster in Colombia. ;-)

However, what's the problem with a green issue? I first thought you meant that the pages had bled. Now I see you are anti asparagus? ;-) I thought the cover you published was very perky.

Personally, there is for me greater satisfaction in the printed word. I love surfing the web but it wont replace print. You never know, though. Let's see what web 4.0 brings.

Mark by Chocolate said...

@elra Los Altos has Whole Foods now? That's after our time. Wow. Kim is very jealous. Since when? Dang. We should'a never sold our houses.

Oh and just for you, B, I did a nougat recipe post. That's mostly weight, no green. ;-)

Share on Facebook