Wednesday, June 18, 2008

No brainers citrus asparagus

Note: French version is on my other food blog La cuisine de Babeth
Rare cancer awareness: don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma



"He even enjoyed a second-round!" Who: Mathieu, What: asparagus.
If you haven't been hibernating lately you've seen asparagus on every stalls: they are in the season at their best. Most of the time they end-up in my grocery shopping cart (I must tell you that I'm not ashamed to possess a grand-mother look-a-like shopping cart). Usually ladies asparagus and me are lunching in tête-à-tête and for once Mathieu joined our company. He wasn't super thrilled seeing asparagus on the menu but oh boy! I knew he couldn't resist to the tenderness of the baked asparagus. And I was right, he asked for a second-round!
My recipe is a no brainer: super easy, super quick (just like I like them). I was particularly lucky, my dear friend Jeff had brought me back from his Vallauris garden some fresh rosemary and lemon (untreated so I could used the zest to add a bright spark to my dish). That's all you need for a tasty asparagus recipe (nether the less they are fully loaded with vitamins A, B, PP and other nutriments).
A marinade later you get my "nobrainers citrus asparagus"

Ingredients:
For the marinade:
-e.v.o.o
-1 non treated lemon
-fresh rosemary branch ( you can always use dried one)

and 3 to 4 nice asparagus per person

Directions:
1- Prepare the marinade: -zest and juice the lemon (to get more juice before cutting it in 2 , massage it firmly).
- In a bowl: stir together 2 tbs of olive oil, lemon zest and juice and about 10 rosemary leaves (thinly cut).
2- Rinse, peel and trim the asparagus. (cut the tough lower edge)
3- Place the asparagus onto your cooking dish and massage them with the marinade. Set aside for about 20 minutes to get the most of the marinade flavor.
4- Cook in the oven at 400F for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes flip the asparagus.
Drain the excess of oil.

(short subliminal message for M.: when you use the grill function of the oven (for frozen pizza for instance) please put the button back to "normal" ...)

5 comments:

Elra said...

Babeth,
We love asparagus too, especially my husband, he was pretty excited when finally we saw white asparagus in our local market. He grew up with white asparagus, not the green one; so it was pretty big deal for him. Now, I buy both green and white, grill, saute, or roast (bake) they are all good. Your recipe sounds very easy, deserve its name "No brainers"
Well done.

Dragonlife said...

Dear Babeth!
Greetings!
Everybody love asparaguses, don't we?
Here in Japan we mainly consume them green, thin an sleek, or fat and juicy. As Shizuoka Prefecture is a big producer, we have them all the time in the markets!
Greta recipe!
incidentally it is a smll world as I too am French (Burgundy), write my blogs in English, am Virgo and love Dragons (even wrote a book about them!)
Last but least, may I link our blogs?
I will also make a request to become a foodbuzz friend!
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

kabonfootprint said...

Thanks for your help, I really need it..and also thanks for sharing your ideas because at the same time I am also trying my best to learn how to prepare (decent meals :-) Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

tayomismo said...

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

sikat ang pinoy said...

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. SIKAT ANG PINOY

Share on Facebook