Monday, September 15, 2008

FeelGood foundation


Ground zero, New-York

Today's' topic is not cooking related.

Yesterday I watched a documentary, on LCP, about the forgotten 9/11 victims. Policemen, firemen, construction workers and ambulance drivers, those ones who worked at ground zero and now who are deeply sick and struggling to get health insurances, pensions or supports.

Everybody remember where they where on that 9/11/2001. It's one of those moment in life that are engraved in our heart and memory. I was still living in California and I first heard about the attacks while waking up to breaking news on my alarm clock radio. I must admit, that I first thought in my hazy morning mind, that the radio guy was talking about a new action movie ... sadly it wasn't the case. Then I realized that all my roommates were in front of the TV (very unusal) and I saw the towers collapsing. Oh God! I just realized what just happened. Later at work nobody were able to concentrate on work, we all gathered speechless, in shock, in front of the TV in the common area watching the towers collapsing again and again.
Then all planes stayed grounded for days and I felt trapped, a weird feeling in the lands of gigantism ...
Do you remember where you were on 9/11?

Anyway my heart was torn apart yesterday while watching "9/11 the forgotten victims" documentary. Those heroes who rushed into the burning, collapsing towers to save people, without thinking one second about their own safety, are now really sick due to exposition to toxic dusts, and are left alone. They cannot get health insurances nor pensions to help them to pay for their medical bills ... apparently insurances have no proof that their diseases are 9/11 related.
I feel that in France we are lucky to have such an inexpensive health insurance system based on mutual aid. And for maybe one or 2 cheaters, who really had asthma or lung issues before, why not to save hundreds of others?
One of those heroes who were interviewed yesterday really touched my heart, imagine this guy who was super brave and courageous and rushed to help others (without knowing if he could escape safely) was crying in front of the camera. All of his health insurances applications got denied and he cannot get a pension. His only revenues were his wife salary, $900 a month.

My post is not political even if you may have notice: the political scene in the US is getting hotter and hotter nowadays.
First it's a food blog and not a political one.
Second, I'm not American and wouldn't dare to tell Americans what to do, nor what to vote.

To finish my post on a promising note: let's meet John Feal, ground zero workers activist. John created the FeelGood Foundation, non-profit organization, is to spread awareness and educate the public about the catastrophic health effects on 9/11 first responders, as well as to provide assistance to relieve these great heroes of the financial burdens placed on them.

Here the ways to give to the FeelGood foundation (just click here).

No comments:

Share on Facebook