Friday, November 14, 2008

Flammekueche (or Flammenkueche) recipe

Note: French version is on my other food blog: La cuisine de Babeth
Rare cancer awareness:
don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma



I cannot really translate all the French post I intended to (here to read it). In it I was giving results for a quiz about "you and the apron", quiz I only put on my French food blog: La cuisine de Babeth. Sorry guys ... Anyway I will try to make it up to you by revealing the results.
Quiz: you and the apron:
1- Always! 13%
2- Only when I cook 10%
3- Only when it will get messy 41%
4- I have a lot, brand new 13%
5- Never 20%

Number 3 is our winner! And I did vote to number 3 as well ( who said that you cannot participate to your own games? There no small prints here :-) ). But I don't always anticipate the "messy" part, which results to a LOT of laundry ...

Today I want to share with you a typical recipe from the French region where we moved in July. Ciao French Riviera, Hello Lorraine!
Let me introduce you: Alsatian flambéed tart also known as Flammenkueche (or Flammekueche). It's a warm appetizer, a thin-like-paper pizza dough filled with crème fraîche, onions and lardons. In France you can buy frozen ones, but it's a no rocket science to make one at home (and it's really quick and simple too).

Note: if you cannot find crème fraîche use sour cream instead. I'm pretty sure you can buy crème fraîche at Whole Food Market.

The recipe is in 2 parts: first the dough, then the filling.

No-yeast bred dough:
Ingredients:
- 1 cup 1/4 (180g) flour
- 1/2 tbs of salt
- 2 tbs of sunflower oil (or 4 olive oil)
- 1/4 cup (10cl) of lukewarm water

Directions:
1- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the flour, and pour into it the salt and oil. Combine with your with your hands. Knead the dough few minutes.
2- Add slowly the lukewarm water while kneading the dough. Knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Form a ball with it.
Note: If the dough is too sticky add some flour, if is not elastic add water.

Flammekueche:(appetizer party of 4, diner party of 2)
Ingredients:
- 1 plumpy onion
- 4 tbs of crème fraîche épaisse or sour cream.
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 1 ball of no-yeast bred dough (recipe see above)
- 120g smoked lardons (strips of fat bacon)
- 1 tbs of sunflower oil
- salt and black pepper

Direction:
1- Peel the onion, thinly cut it.
2- Ina bowl combine the crème, nutmeg, salt and freshly grounded pepper.
3- Flour your work surface. Roll dough, making a long very thin rectangle as big as your cooking baking sheet.
4- Brush your baking sheet with some oil, and place the dough. (or you can line your baking sheet with parchment paper instead). Press the dough all around to form and edge. Gently prick the dough with a fork.
5- Spray on it the cream mixture. Sprinkle on top the onions and lardons. Add few oil drops.
6- Cook in a preheated oven at 480F for 15 min.

5 comments:

Elra said...

I love this Alsatian specialty, my friends who are from the area around Colmar taught me how to make it years back. Since then, this bean my family treat. In fact, my son is really addictive to it.
Cheers,
Elra

Babeth said...

:-) I love when recipes are crossing boarders and oceans! And do you do it the same way? with the same filling?
xoxo

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love that speciality! Your Flammeküche looks fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jescel said...

hmmmnnn.. i'd love to have one, right about now! :o)

Babeth said...

Thanks Rosa and Jescel!
@Jescel: it's not really something that can be shipped, otherwise I would have send you one :-)

Share on Facebook