Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Soup at Tiffany

Note: French version is on my other food blog: La cuisine de Babeth
Rare cancer awareness:
don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma

Tiffany_soup

When I prepare soups at home it's always in big batches. Not that I have that many mouths to feed, but it's great to have home-made soup in your freezer waiting to warm you up on those cold and lazy evenings. To be more convenient I freeze my soup in small 1 to 2 portion bags.
This season I'm a big fan of Brussels sprouts as well as leeks.
Last week at my favorite grocery store I was seduced by a plumply cauliflower, so I brought it home :-) But it has no effect, what so ever, on my other housemate ... so it ended up mixed in a soup.

I was so thrilled when I saw my soup finished: it turned into a pale tint of spring green puree. Exactly the same green as Tiffany&Co boxes! We all remember the great movie with Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard (young, this guy can act): Breakfast at Tiffany, guess why I named my soup: soup at Tiffany ? :-)


Ingredients:
-2 leeks
-1 cauliflower
-olive oil (e.v.o.o preferred)
-kosher salt
-curcuma

Directions:
1- Remove the leafs and trim the end (the dry part, the rest will be used for the soup). Cut into pieces, wash under running water.
2- In a large pot put some water to boil ( at least 1 liter: cauliflower pieces have to be covered by it). When it's boiling add a generous pinch of kosher salt and a tea spoon of curcuma. Reduce the heat and add the cauliflower. Let it cook for about 20 minutes. (How to know it's cooked? if you can drive in the tip of a knife like into melted butter: it's done). Drain and set aside
3- While it's cooking prepare the leeks. Trim the bottom end (hairy one) and the spoiled part of the leafs. The green is the key ingredient to have this rich color. Wash them carefully. Mine were organic so a bit dirty.
4- Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then in small slices.
5- In a hot pan add a splash of olive oil and the leeks. Cook it for about 10 minutes until it's slightly golden. Set aside.
6- Mix altogether in a blender the cooked cauliflower and leeks. Set aside in a large bowl the pureed veggies and add 1 to 2 tbs of olive oil. Serve or freeze!

Other soups recipes:
-evoo toasted pumpkin soup
-Jerusalem artichoke soup
-cream slip peas and bacon
- cream hokkaido squash soup

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Yummy! I love cauliflower!

Cheers,

Rosa

Elra said...

Hi Bateh,
I love that movie too, what a beautiful name for a soup.
Leek and cauliflower soup sounds really delicious. I notice that you use a lot of cucurma in your cooking. You must like it very much!
Xoxo,
Elra

Babeth said...

Thanks Rosa and Elra for being my always here readers :-)

@Elra: yes I do love curcuma and I use it a lot. It's a great spice and also add a nice orange color to cooking.

Peppercorn Press said...

That soup looks delicious! Nice and thick to warm up a cold body!

Garden of Eden said...

Wow, this is a really good idea. Thank you very much.

Share on Facebook