Friday, January 9, 2009

Au revoir Gaston!

Note: Read me in French on my other blog: La cuisine de Babeth
Rare cancer awareness: don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma


Photo AFP

Yesterday, the best French pastry chef ever passed away. Gaston Lenôtre was the greatest pastry chef and the teacher of many of today pastry stars, Pierre Hermé to name only one.

Gaston Lenôtre was a great teacher, he opened his school in 1971 and his next step was to open "écoles gourmandes" in most of his pastry shops where any of us can get pastry or cooking classes. And I was lucky enough to have few classes at Cannes' Lenôtre école gourmande. Where I learnt how to make macarons and also holidays dishes. Teachers are chefs and they follow one of Gaston Lenôtre rule: always be explain and give all the ingredients and steps of any recipes. Cannot be said for all the chefs or cookbooks writers out there ...

Twist of faith, yesterday I became the happy owner of: faites votre pâtisserie comme Lenôtre (ebay treasures). My Mum has it since the 70s and I grew up with her making delicious Lenôtre desserts.


Au revoir Gaston!

3 comments:

auntie jo said...

une vie consacrée à la transmission de son art!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Au revoir! Quel artiste!

Bises,

Rosa

Babeth said...

Good bye Gaston

Share on Facebook