Wednesday, March 25, 2009

evoo toasted pumpkin soup

Note: You prefer Oulala? Read this post on my French blog: La cuisine de Babeth
Rare cancer awareness:
don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma

evoo toasted pumpkin soup

Today is the 25th of March and it's ... snowing ... Quite depressing after a really (I mean REALLY) long winter here in Luxembourg area. This morning snow took us by surprise after a lovely first sunny spring week. Where did the sun goes? Please come back!

Anyway to keep me warm I had soup for lunch, one of the many I made and froze during all winter. Before living with Mathieu I was not a huge soup fan. They made it to the table only when I was sick, but let me tell you that my Canadian husband adores soups. I tried prepare with veggies in season the soups we eat. I always make a big batch and freeze the left-over. It comes handy on those lazy evenings when I don't want to cook.

Anyway soup du jour was a creation of mine: evoo toasted pumpkin soup, served with a dash of squash seed oil. This oil is a little souvenir from Geneva, Switzerland where I visited my dear friend Emma. Squash seed oil, also named butternut squash seed oil is great to kick to flavor of this soup, but also great as a salad dressing. The oil is dark brown green and has a roasted nutty taste, especially delicious in Fall or Winter.

Ingredients:
- about 10 oz of pumpkin (or 1 slice of a medium one)
- 2 small turnips
- 3 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1/6 of a medium size celeriac (note if you don't use the rest sprinkle some lemon juice on it to prevent it to darkened)
- evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 Maggi chicken stock cube (or about 4 1/4 cups of chicken broth in that case no need to add water in #3)

- optional: butternut squash seed oil

Directions:
1- Peel and clean the pumpkin slice. Cut in cubes.
2- Peel and sliced the celeriac, carrots, turnips and potatoes.
3-Add the chicken stock cube to about 1 liter (4 1/4 cups) of boiling water. Stir. (the more water you will use the more liquid your soup will be). Add the sliced veggies (but not the pumpkin, anyway it's a fruit :-) ). Cover and let it cook for about 20 minutes.
4- How do I know the veggies are cooked? Test them with the tip of a knife, if it enters them like butter it's ready.
5- In a hot pan add a splash of olive oil and the pumpkin slices. Cook it for about 15 minutes until it's nicely golden. (it's cooked when the pumpkin flesh color turns dark orange) Set aside.
7- Mix it altogether with a blender.

Other soups recipes:
-Jerusalem artichoke soup
-soup at Tiffany
-
cream slip peas and bacon
- cream hokkaido squash soup

No comments:

Share on Facebook