Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Be Comté

Note: You prefer Oulala? Read this post on my French blog: La cuisine de Babeth
Rare cancer awareness:
don't forget to check: Help beat sarcoma


comte

No need to rob a bank to make me a happy girl! But if a Chanel bag, a cottage in Brittany or a Vermeer cross your mind, I would be more than glad to accept those. But some chocolates, inexpensive jewelery or a chunk of cheese will do the trick and please me very much. The other day a secret admirer (just Comté cheese PR ... I'm not that special ...) sent me 2 huge cheese chunks by mail. Cheese well packed in airtight box via express mail does travel in style. The nice PR also added an apron and a handy cheese knife to the cheese bounty. Lucky me!


comte

I was as thrilled as when Mathieu gave me pair of Repetto ballet flats. Imagine for a second a hefty Canadian entering the Parisian Repetto shop (if you're not familiar with the brand: their target is more dancers and jeunes filles en fleur) to buy a pair or shoes his wife (me :-) ) cliped out of Elle magazine.

I do receive now and then some free goodies: food or books, and I choose freely to talk or not about them. And this time well I loved it!
Comté cheese I received was well aged, a palate nirvana.
Comté is also called Gruyère de Comté and is a French cheese made from unpasteurized cow's milk made with love in Franche-Comté. While cut the 20 inch circular discs reveal a pale yellow paste, hard to touch and nutty and fruity to taste.

We eaten the cheese "naked", freshly cut directly to the mouth, or combined to make chic appetizers.
On wheat toast with Serrano jam
On a stick with a dice of fresh pear

Serve with a fresh Muscat wine!

comte_apero

Comté can also be cooked try out in (just click on names on to get recipes): puffy gougères and mashed potatoes flaky cakes, or in quiches.

No comments:

Share on Facebook