Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chicken wok with green cabbage

Fancy reading this post in French? Retrouvez moi sur La Cuisine de Babeth

wok

Even if we owned 2 woks (one in a storage in France and one here in Rwanda), until recently I've never cooked with it. It was Mathieu's territory. Not that I was scared, but not having to cook and just waiting for diner to be served is sometime a true luxury. And far away from Asia, in Africa I met a Chinese Indonesian friend who taught me how to cook pad-thai. Then the week after I taught her how to make my chocolate tart. After that enlightening experience (yes really when you're a true foodie learning a new recipe is almost a spiritual experience) I stocked (even though we can find almost everything in Kigali, when stores have supplies we need to buy in bulk because it never lasts) Pad-Thai noodles and Chinese noodles in my pantry. And I was ready to turn my kitchen into a wok-lab.
Now I'm trying wok variations with what I can find at the farmers market.


If I tell you green cabbage, I'm pretty sure you will say no thank you with a disgusted face. You will be wrong, green cabbage when you know how to prepare it, is really good for both your palate and health!


For this recipe I used pre-cooked carrots. I always I have in my fridge some peeled, cut and almost al-dente cooked veggies (staples: carrots and broccoli) and some cooked rice. So when I'm in a rush I can still prepare healthy meals in a snap. I throw all those in a pan or my wok add some spice, fresh herbs from my garden.


Chicken wok with green cabbage recipe
Ingredients: (serving 4)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 green cabbage
- 3 big carrots pre-cooked*
- 1/2 onion (red or yellow as you prefer, red is sweeter)
- 2 garlic cloves
- sesame seeds
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- sunflower oil
- white pepper
- 1 Maggi cube
- some peanuts


Directions:
1- Thinly shred the cabbage, rinse and gently drain the water. Set aside.
2- Thinly slice the onion. Peel the garlic cloves, smash them under a large knife blade and slice. Set aside.
3- Slice the chicken breasts. Set aside.
4- Place your wok on high heat. If yours is not non-adhesive pour some sunflower oil (not more than a table spoon). As soon as the oil is hot throw in it the onion and garlic.
5- Then as soon as the onion and garlic are golden throw in the chicken. Flip the chicken slices over from time to time. When the chicken slices are cooked add the carrots, cabbage. Cover.
6- After 2 or 3 minutes, crumble on top the Maggi cube, add pepper then add a dash of sesame oil and soy sauce. Mix and cover again. It's ready to serve when the cabbage starts to become translucent.
7- Serve in small bowls and add some sesame seeds and peanuts on top.


*Otherwise peel and cut in small slices the carrots, cook them for 10 minutes in boiling water. 

Read again Mathieu's tips for successful wok experience (just click here)



3 comments:

Jamie said...

Delicious! I love the flavors! And what a fabulous idea to use cabbage and not the usual noodles as a base for this chicken dish (as I would!).

Zubaida said...

HI!

Nice blog! good one....
Great job! thanks for posting this blog... keep it up..


John Williams
Zubaidatariq

nicu said...

wow this is so tasty!!! believe me or not, your post made me forget about my promise to help my friends how to play bingo and made me run to the kitchen. I'm not regretting however) It was an awesome fun and it turned to be really delicious) thanks for sharing the receipt!)

Share on Facebook